Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tidbits about the "others"

I have had mixed reactions to the fact that my family has decided to join the chaos known as foster care.  Many people continue to look at me with sad faces when I discuss where we're at in the process (all the while I'm excitedly telling them good news- at least to me!)  Others continue to feel pity for us b/c we're infertile (which I'm still sad about, but life has finally moved on past this now, so I'd like them to move on!  No more stories about how we could still 'get' a baby if we wanted one, etc.)  However, many people treat the idea with skepticism & would rather generally just avoid the topic.  They try to avoid talking about it, they ask about it when they think they have to, but you can tell they're not interested so you'd better hurry w/ your story!

Fortunately, a coworker that I met for the very first time crossed my path today, just when I needed her.  She told me about how her & her husband have not had a baby just yet, but they took custody of his young 10 yr old family member when he was 6.  This boy's father was completely absent from the picture & his mother was on drugs.  They took him in when they realized how he was being raised.  First it was weekend visits, then it turned more permanent.  She understands what it's like to be placed with an older child, so she encouraged me to call & talk sometime.  Wow!  God placed her in my path, I have no doubt!

I say this to encourage others who may think there's no one who really understands them or their plight.  I don't understand what foster care will be like & I don't pretend to.  But I do know what being part of a broken family feels like, and how you're always trying to "fit in" with "normal families".  I also understand that I serve a God who can bring people into our lives for His purpose, and that we don't have to know how all the pieces of our lives fit just yet.  It's enough to just be walking with Christ & letting Him be our GPS for now!  Carry on, be blessed, be encouraged, make a difference!

                                  Life is a journey, not a destination!

No comments:

Post a Comment